New Weekly Tipz! So it’s no secret, most people extremely dislike exercise and eating small portions of healthy foods. But why? This week is a good week to try and figure it out. Think long and hard. Answer honestly. Because if not, much time will surely be wasted. Live in the moment. Work for the future.July 31, 2012
GREAT SITES to USE:
*All ROugh Estimates done at home with a Tanita Inner Scan Scale (2007-08) and cloth measuring tape from Walmart.
*All measurents taken on right side, relaxed and during Mid Day 2: 28pm.
*Previous Measurements (Spring 2012 and before): Weight = 157 lb (lowest since high school and before Olypmic Nat. Park Trip in 2009) / BF% = circa 7-8% / Waist = 30-30.5″ / Bicep = 15″ (16″ Flexed)/ Hip = 39″
RHR: around 50
Weight: 165 lb
Arm Length: 19″ (From Armpit to Wrist, Extended out to the Side)
Chest: 40″ Relaxed/ 41″ Expanded (40″ Short Suit Size)
Upper Arm (Bicep): 14″ Relaxed
Hip (Biggest Part of the Butt): 38″
Leg (Biggest Part-Mid Thigh on scar): 22.5″
Just above knee-cap: 15″
Calf (thickest area-mid belly): 14.5″
Foot Size: 10.5-11 / 11.5″ (from Heal to Big Toe)
*Conclusion… I need to increase overall muscle mass and decrease body fat around waist.
June 8, 2009 Measurements(around Olympic National Park, Mt. Ranier, Colorado White Water Rafting trip)
W: 160 lbs
C: 38.5 (across nipple line)
F: 11 (on old faded tattoos)
RHR: around 69
BP: 116 over 65
- First off, i need a rest or deload week. Just a week of fun swimming, hiking, sleeping…
- Use “Multiple Vector Variations” (Thomas Myers) or a variety of movement patterns coupled with a variety of tools to do this. “Circular Liquid Movement Theory” (Carlton Cullins)
- I like the Heavy/Light/Medium days (Friday/Sunday/Tuesday) with some “roll the dice” swings, hill sprints and such on “off” days… possibly in the earlier hours on Mondays & Wednesdays.
- Train ONE power movement at the beginning of each workout. Ex=BB High Pulls (w Thick Famers BarBell), Vertical Jumps, Med Ball Work, DB Floor Clean to Press, Snatches
- Wear MOUTHPIECE while training. Focus on full diaphram(lung cavity to stomach) breathing.
- Use Fat Gripz.
- Use Olympic BB for Getups
- 2 heavy KBs for Front Squats
- Have qualified Manual Therapist stretch shoulder capsule after this phase is done. (Brian Martens)
- Focus on symmetry…calves, leg biceps(ball & valslide ham curls), shoulder/traps…decrease body fat around waist.
Fridays = Strength (weighted stuff)
Tuesdays = Body Building type stuff (Gymnastic/body weight or BB/KB Complexes)
Sunday = Power, Strong Man Endurance
*Skill Practice – Rolling/Tumbling out of a Handstand
*On Work Days (M-Thur) Do Joint Work… 15-30 reps of Lockouts w SL Squats, Handstand Press, Dips
Strength Focus Days: Handstands for 10 minutes (3-5 sets of 15-20 sec holds) DL, Pullup, Judo Pushups, Dips – Pair correctives as supersets with most exercises.
Off Days: Handstands, Getups w Waiter Walk before Get-down(w Overhead Squat Corrective using tubing band through rings to be pulled by Hip Flexors on the way down, stretch thoracic and shoulder capsules) , “Roll the Dice” Snatch&Swing combos, Correctives as cooldown. Compression Work (Core & Stretch Work from “Overcoming Gravity”) at end.
Tuesday – 10 Minutes of handstands
I also experimented a little with the 5 day on/2 days off Crossfit “Theoretical” Template. Not sure i liked it. It seemed forced and completely against my current constitution.
Monday- Lower Body (3 sets of 6…35lb SL Squats, rest 2.5 minutes then 55lb SLDL, repeat…)
Tuesday – Upper Body Gymnastic Work/Body Building Weight Work
Wed – Off
Thur – Lower Body (w 50 reps of joint work at end)
Friday- Upper Body (w 50 reps of joint work at end)
Saturday – Lower Body
Sunday – Upper Body
*1 hot-mintues, 10 minute wall sits at night, standing on one leg isometrics at end of workout, 50 reps of joint work
(plie-hack squats w calf raise, elevated butt bridges, dips or plain pushups, pullaparts…use variety)
*Small Ball Incline Pushups, Ab Wheel, Bicep Pullups, BB Clean to Presses AND/OR Behind the Neck Thick-Bar Presses with narrow feet s l o w l y…(great for upper trap, core stabilization, deltoid isolations) , Tubing Curl>Dips w no rest for pump, Calf Raises, Maybe even some delt iso work for old time sake.
Echoes of Kibo
roger (swedish diplomat) and wife (owner of Zara)
Moshi Town and other female named town close to Kili
Lady died, agressive germans and big tent for drinking
coke after hikes, watermellons, pine trees and Monkeys
crazy car ride to mountain, Arusha National Park, Ramadan singing at night
morning swim, breakfast and dinner pavilion, big crane, fires burning, local artwork
ugali-food, old motorcycles and toyota trucks, snake farm, nature hike by hotel
young guide with maleria, ATM & shillings, market lady that yelled at me and smiled,
Our fat guide David and him choosing porters, washing clothes in stream, kids walking home from school, land fill, big crows, our “tour” with 7-Summits sold to Zara,
Bus ride from Airport to hotel, smell of fire, small villiages, dropped girl off at house, moon and the mysterious mountain that we never saw the peak of until on it, pepsi signs, get rich or die trying artwork, “Obama Country”, brian ripped zipper, machine gun man at weigh station, laborers at front gate, primitive toilets, aclimation hikes, helicoptor pad, the only other americans were 3 rich young bachelor jerks that had their crew sing to them, David asking about tipping from Brians book, Flies that lay eggs in skin-don’t hang clothes outside in jungle areas, school kids asleep on bicycles, wood stacked high on bikes, gates of hotel, finding our bus from airport, the British father-son-daughter trio on bus ride, beautiful trees in airport parking lot with “different” bug sound at night, BP gas stations along way to hotel, banana leaf artwork from friend(weed dealer – dad was chief of police)…he said, “respect” and gave me good luck bracelett from Tanzania. kid that followed me on trail tour, expensive gift shop outside of Arusha and in Moshi town (indian?) hidden pockets for cash, snickers at the convinient store, porters & guides are off one weekend a month.
It was just another hot summer day of 2010. It was late August. I had almost missed my afternoon flight from Austin to Detroit. Somehow with all the excitement of the upcoming trip in my blood, along with a healthy dose of anti-maleria pills, I got on the wrong plane. There were two of us. We each had the same seat. I was already comfortably tucked away awaiting my departure with a huge cool-aid smile on my face. The other poor lady, standing directly over me, wondered aloud whether or not there had been mistake. There had been. The stewardess informed me that the mistake was all mine. I hurried off the plane and headed back into the boarding area. Of course the gate checker gentleman completely forgot to notice that I had boarded the wrong flight, a flight that would have taken me to god knows where. Me and my two completely full carry-ons were in dire need to be in Detroit at a very specific time to meet my friends Brian & Cecily. From there we would set sail across the Atlantic towards Europe to Amsterdam and then from there a straight shot to Kilimanjaro. Kilimanjaro is the name the White Man gave to the area that is home to the highest peak in Africa, as well as being the highest free-standing mountain on Earth. However, the natives prefer to call it Kibo, the original name of the mountain before the erupting volcano or the White Man.
The flight from Holland to the Kilimanjaro International Airport lasted approximately __ hours. We were to land in Tanzania much after dark, sometime around 9pm. I was relieved that my luggage, consisting of everything that I would need for the climb, was resting quietly in the compartment overhead. Brian & Cecily, both attorneys from Arizona, had managed to work out a deal with some fellow passengers to secure two seats just to the left of mine. As we scurried across the sky, we talked with excitement about our upcoming adventure together. We had planned for this since day one of this new year.
Planning for a trip of this complexity took careful attention to detail. First there were the vaccination shots, adminersted in multiple stages, beginning 6 months out. Yellow Fever, Hepatitis B & C, Typhoid Fever, etc.
New Weekly Tipz! Some food for thought…literally. This week i simply show you what a typical day at the grocery store(s) looks like for me, along with a few random tips along the way. Keep in mind that i mention “smoothies” a lot during the video. I don’t recommend them for most people needing to lose a lot of body fat unless you really know what you are doing. I use smoothies before and after workouts as well as with my busy schedule. But they can be dangerous because they have a lot of calories and often taste really good. So be careful. WE ARE ALL WHAT WE EAT AND DRINK! :)July 25, 2012
- Deadlift. I prefer the Trap Bar DL.
- Kettlebell Swing.
- Turkish Getup.
- Pullup/Chinups, all variations. I prefer to use Rings.
- Push Press variations. My favorite is Single arm DB ground clean to press. Or BB Pushup Press.
- Pushup variations. My favorite is the Hindu/Divebomb.
- Single Leg Squats. My favorite is Ring Opp Arm Assisted SL Full Squat for reps.
- Lateral Hops. All forms. No heal strikes.
- Single Arm/Opp Leg Overhead (DB or KB) Step Ups. “Kilimanjaros”.
- BB High PuLLs.
- Carries. All forms.
- Turkish Getups
- Trap-Bar Deadlifts (or any non-barbell type…most folks don’t pull well with a long bar so far in front of them)
- Swings (all variations…KB, DB, Single Arm, Double Arm, High, Low, etc)
- Pullups/Chinups/Front Levers/Muscle Ups (all pulling variations, holds, etc)
- Judo/Dive Bomb Pushups
- Single-Leg Squats
- Split Squats (Slow Grinds or Jumping Plyometrics)
- Single-Leg Deadlifts
- Dumbbell Floor Clean to Press/Jerk
- Dumbell Overhead Swing of the Ol’ Time Strongmen
- Barbell Hang Clean to Press
- Single-Arm/Single-Leg Planks
- Tubing Core-TV Squares
- Carries (all variations)
- Kettlebell or Dumbell Hang Snatches
- Single-Arm Dumbbell/Kettlebell Long Press
- Upside Down Rows
- Handstand Pushups/Holds
- Chops & Lifts
- Vertical Jumps
- Burpees (all variations)
- Battling Ropes
- Med Ball Ground to Overhead Jumps
- Single-Leg Hops
- Side to Side Hops
- Warrior Lunges (backwards)
- Barbell Push-Press
- Dips (on rings or bars)
- Complexes (Randy Couture, Dan John, Coach Dos)
- Travel (day trips, long weekends, vacation)
- Watch a Movie (at home,” movie nights”, outside, at a theatre, Paramount, Traveling Road Show, etc)
- Go see a Play, Musical, Comedian or other various random performance art
- Canoe, Kayak, Stand up Surfboard (daytime or night)
- Education (Take an Informal Class or Seminar, learn something new, Instructional DVD or Book)
- Talk to an Old Friend or Family Member (or client, bandmate, schoolmate, etc)
- Fly a Kite
- Jump on a Trampoline
- Ride Bikes
- Ride Motorcylces or Scooters
- Play a Musical Instrument/Write a Song/Play in a Band/Do a Show/Record a Song
- Read & Write (Books, Journals, Blogs, Fiction, Non-Fiction, Education, Memoirs)
- Picnic (in a boat, in a park, on your roof)
- Volunteer/Be Useful
- Play a Sport (Kickball, Tennis, Frisbee and other cheap things)
- Garage Sales, Thrift Stores, Estate Sales, Antique Shops
- Live Music (Jazz, Reggae, Blues, etc)
- Cook, Dinner Party
- Landscape, Gardening
- Practice Bushcraft & Survival Skills
- Exploring the City (East Side, Small Towns, New Restaurants, Parks, etc)
- Shoot a Gun, Bow & Arrow, Trow an Ax or Knife
- Bird Watch
- Star Gazing
- Workout (at a new gym or park, with a new implement)
- BBQ/Get Together
- Build Something (home projects, etc)
BACK IN THE DAY, WHEN I WAS A SPRING CHICKEN…
- Bridge Jumping
- Party Hopping
- Reading on the Rooftop
- Playing Guitar on the Rooftop
- Hang out in Old Cemeteries
- Kill the Man with the Football (in shallow water at Night)
- Water Baloons at Cars (at night)
- Shoot BB Guns
- Build Forts
- Go to Record Stores
- Blow Something Up with FireCrackers
Goals for the so called Bucket List…
- Travel Abroad at least Once a Year/Visit most other Countries
- Visit Every National Park in America
- Hike & Camp from North Rim to South Rim of the Grand Canyon
- Finish another Album and possibly Join or Form another Band
- Camp & Drive up the East Coast in Early Autumn
- Visit Utah, Montana, Smokey Mountains, Appalachian Trail, Washington DC, Phili Soul Music